Professional Experience and Significant Achievements
CARIBONUM CENTRAL AFRICA (PVT) LTD▪ GRANITESIDE INDUSTRIAL AREA, HARARE
Printing and packaging and carbon paper manufacturing company
Reasons for leaving: Family reunion and seeking challenging opportunities in a technologically advanced industry.
Reporting to the Executive Chairman JULY 2011 – MARCH 2013
Managing a production unit, supervising and providing leadership to more than 50 production and engineering staff. Playing an ongoing problem solving role. Responsible for keeping three production sections running at optimum levels, maintaining output and quality on all products, ensuring that the preventative maintenance schedule is followed, managing the procurement, stores and warehousing functions, liaising with the sales and finance managers to ensure that value as defined by the customer is delivered.
Career Highlights and Achievements at Caribonum CA
- Contributed to strategy formulation and future planning as a member of the management team.
- Acted as general manager for the firm for 2 months, managing the operations, sales and finance functions.
- Improved capacity utilisation from below 10% to above 45% in all production sections.
- Managed to locate a cheaper and faster source of raw material for carbon paper manufacturing.
- Ensured that the carbon paper manufacturing section resumed production after five years without running.
- Refurbished and commissioned the Didde Appollo printing machine to capture the printed rolls market .
- Signed memorandums of understandings (MOUs) bulk paper suppliers in India, China and South Africa.
- Introduced a system to capture relevant key performance indicators (KPIs) for the manufacturing function.
- Collated all daily and weekly manufacturing metrics and produced management reports, developed key planning indicators, reports and graphs.
ART CORPORATION (PVT) LTD (ART CONVERTING) ▪ GRANITESIDE AREA, HARARE
Printing and packaging companies with major focus on tissue conversion, stationery printing, commercial printing and ball point pen manufacturing.
Reasons for leaving: Wanted to develop further in a different environment with challenges to reconfigure and turnaround a company in distress.
Reporting to the General Manager JULY 2009 – JUNE 2011
Managing numerous production lines segmented into commercial printing, stationery printing, envelopes conversion, ball point manufacturing and tissue conversion to ensure that financial performance, productivity, quality and safety are improved.
Career Highlights and Achievements at ART CONVERTING
- Maintained the ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 management systems certifications.
- Spearheaded the OHSAS 18001 certification project.
- Initiated the Integrated Management Systems (ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and OHSAS 18001) certification project to reduce costs associated with audit duplications.
- Reconfigured the Fleximail plant layout, which improved worker efficiency and reclaimed enough space to accommodate the publications department machinery.
- Led a project team to successfully relocate and install the US$ 400 000.00 publications plant.
- Initiated material and process management systems that reduced printing and non-printing waste by 2%.
- Restructured the Fleximail, Eversharp and Softex operations structures to reduce the number of supervisors after the ART corporation restructuring process.
- Introduced the skills matrix and multiskilling system for factory employees to improve labour productivity.
- Reviewed company operations – evaluated their efficiencies , effectiveness and compliance with the new restructured procedures
- Participated in strategy formulation, budgeting and future planning for all three converting companies.
SOFTEX TISSUE PRODUCTS (PVT) LTD▪ GRANITESIDE INDUSTRIAL AREA, HARARE
Printing and packaging company specializing in tissue conversion, printing and packaging
Reasons for leaving: Promoted to lead the converting division of ART Corporation as production manager.
Reporting to the Operations Manager JAN 2006 – JUNE 2009
Responsible for assisting the operations manager with issues to do with production planning and control, planned maintenance systems management, performance management and improvement, raw material ordering and storage, safety, health, environment and quality systems management and project management.
Career Highlights and Achievements at Softex Tissue Products
- Influenced the implementation of an ERP system (Tetra CS3 Sageline 500) for the division.
- Trained factory employees on the use of the ERP system.
- Responsible for the flawless interface between the Works Order Processing (WOP), Materials Management (MM) and Purchase Order Processing (POP) functions of the ERP system.
- Member of the project teams that successfully obtained ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certifications from AfriCert.
- Introduced a system that tracked and analysed the Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) for the plant and compares it to industry standards.
- Successfully led a team of artisans to automate the tissue line and improve productivity by 22%.
- Used work study methods to improve efficiencies on the single wrapped rolls manufacturing line.
- Optimized output against targets by developing ongoing scheduling systems and production plans.
MURRAY & ROBERTS (PROPLASTICS (Pvt) Ltd) ▪ARDBENNIE INDUSTRIAL AREA, HARARE
Plastic pipes and sewer component manufacturing company which utilizes injection moulding and extrusion machine
Reasons for leaving: Completed traineeship programme
PRODUCTION ENGINEERING TRAINEE
Reporting to Manufacturing Executive JAN 2004 – MAR 2005
Carrying out tasks as directed by the production manager, engineering manager and SHEQ manager. Responsible for analyzing manufacturing processes and challenging the status quo, recommending process improvement strategies as guided by industrial engineering principles.
- Improved housekeeping using the 5s techniques.
- Appreciated issues to do with plastics extrusion and moulding process planning and control.
- Actively participated in the installation project of a US$ 1.3 million extrusion plant.